"I am not a glutton, I am an explorer of food." - Erma Bombeck

Monday, September 13, 2010

A day in the life of my neurotic mind. . .WARNING! Insane ramblings inside!

I LOVE grocery shopping. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I love seeing/smelling/touching all that fresh produce, finding a new ice cream flavor or cheese to try. I am also not a grocery store snob. My favorite bread is at sweetbay, but my favorite watermelon is a publix etc. (it is a house divided :(  )
Yesterday’s dinner conversation (in my head) went like this. Ohhhhh! My coworker had pasta with tomato sauce and zucchini (hes so healthy, I’m so jealous). I want that for dinner!

OK. I am going to need zucchini. I will go to the grocery store! So I went to the grocery store and bought zucchini (actually Italian squash because it looks like zucchini and who the hell can tell the difference besides I couldn’t find the zucchini anyway)…aaaaannnnd hot dogs, hot dog buns, a watermelon (because its healthy!), cheese, more cheese, bologna, and ready in a box appetizers (because you never know when someone’s going to pop by!). Are all women as insane as I am when it comes to shopping? I went for frickin’ zucchini and frankly I didn’t get my damned zucchini. And I spend $40.

But back to food, because that’s what I’m always thinking about anyway. I was thinking. . . “Oh! I could put a spin on boring old spaghetti and tomato sauce! I could use canned tomatoes and roughly chop them, add some garlic and voila! . . . or I could buy fresh tomatoes and roughly chop them, add some garlic and voila! Canned tomatoes? Or fresh? Canned or fresh??! Canned have more lycopene (better for you), but I like the texture of fresh and I wouldn’t want an all squishy of the canned tomatoes and squishy zucchini (Italian squash). As you can see from the grocery list above I opted not to buy tomatoes. Because I think I will try this reciepe sometime in the near future with canned tomatoes. I will call it Des pates d’ete (summer pasta in French. . .it sounds more sophisticated in French). Notice I said sometime in the near future? I mean hopefully before the zucchini (Italian squash!) rots in my fridge.. . . because a lot of fresh produce rots in my fridge. . because we didn’t eat the pasta I went to the grocery store to prepare for. . .

So you ask? What did we do for dinner?

We had Chinese. (Yes, that’s my cat eating my fried rice)







Pee eeS

What the hell Publix???



No comments:

Post a Comment