"I am not a glutton, I am an explorer of food." - Erma Bombeck

Monday, August 16, 2010

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

Does anyone else make tomato soup just so you have something to dip your grilled cheese in?

Wow, I do. I would like to start off by saying, I love to make large batches of things and freeze them for future meals. I actually made this tomato soup a few months ago but I froze the rest of it and had it for dinner the other night with a bastardized grilled cheese.

My poor husband hates the way I make grilled cheese and I’m pretty sure he’s none too happy about my tomato soup. I think is mantra is why mess with the classics. I say its all about the flavor and I want a bit more flavor than 2 slices of white bread, some kraft singles, some butter and a can of Campbell’s tomato soup can offer.

Spoiler Alert! PLEASE DO NOT GET GROSSED OUT! IF UNUSAL COMBINATIONS FREAK YOU OUT, PLEASE SCROLL TO THE END OF THIS BLOG. THANK YOU --The Mngmt



Et voila!



What you can’t see here is the mustard and sliced tomato in my grilled cheese. So yum! So other than that its still white bread, some kraft singles, and some butter, but at least the fresh crunch of tomato adds a bit of texture and mustard and cheese is a combination not unlike PB&J.


The tomato soup was actually easy to make because I’m lazy. If I didn’t think Sandra Lee from Semi-Homemade on the Food Network was a bit of a lush, I would love her program because I totally cook like she does.

The tomato soup was a can of Healthy Choice Tomato Basil soup, the other half of my fresh tomato from my sandwich (cubed), mozzarella (cubed), and minced garlic. By the time the soups is heated all the way through on the stovetop, the fresh tomato is still crisp and the mozerlla is soft and melty (I totally stole the mozerella idea from a deli in downtown Tampa called the Loading Dock).



Anyway, as you can see from the picture it is a yummy dinner and makes great left overs. There’s always a ton of soup left over because as I stated above I don’t actually eat the soup, I just use it as a dipping sauce for my grilled cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! The best grilled cheese I've ever had is at Square One Burgers on Henderson. It's called the X-Rated Grilled Cheese Sandwhich and is an unusual combo of cheese, sauce and pickles but it is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. /drool. I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete